Re: Topband: Inverted L improvement question

To: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L improvement question
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 07:42:11 -0500
Hi, Grant.

Your original was posted to the reflector as well, and I'll let this
go there as well.

3:1 current imbalance, whether scalar or not, is grotesquely large
with 8 evenly spaced elevated equal length radials. I presume you have
already looked for connection issues at the center of the radials and
insulator issues out at the ends of the radials, and have walked the
radials looking for vegetation hanging on the radials. You would have
fixed that and moved on.

I think Kirchoff is overkill for the problem. I'm not sure he applies
at all with radials coupled inductively and capacitively to "infinite"
planetary size current sinks like ground viewed as a geographical
conductor. I think a lot of RF earth current (hence also radial
behavior) is better understood by the way charge moves around in a
lightning strike than by a circular radio circuit. The math is
dreadful for a radial analyzed as a single ended circuit, but that's
our problem, not nature's. We have a history of wanting to promote our
modeling programs to "natural" law, and somewhere in our unconscious
resist any addition of other factors to our calculations which can
create square law increases in problem and solution complexity.

Some practical things: Radial field screw-ups generally have almost no
effect on pattern at all. I modeled your antenna finally increasing to
200 ohm (!!!) loads inserted almost at the center into all the radials
on one side. This is a very large distortion of radial function, the
degree of unbalance required to produce three times the current in the
unloaded radials as loaded. This whale-sized distortion only makes the
azimuth pattern favor the unloaded side by about a dB. A counterpoise
hopefully will return 99% of the current forced into it, with minimal
energy sent to the far fields to distort the pattern of the aerial
wires. RF gone to counterpoise losses will not largely change pattern
any more than a parallel feed of antenna and dummy load will change
the antenna pattern.

So while the discovery of current imbalance in the radials may be
unnerving, it could be a result instead of a cause. And it does not
seem to reach the level of why you're getting thrashed in the
pile-ups.

What's more likely going on is akin to work done at N1LN where THREE
towers needed to be detuned to get clean pattern all around from his
two phased verticals. At the time only one vacuum variable was
available for the detuning. The closest tower was detuned with that.
The next closest tower was adjusted with that variable cap, measured
for value, and then returned to the first tower and reset. Using caps
rated for 100 watt transmitters, if that, the measured value was
constructed with a combination of fixed caps and put in place.

Detuning the towers made massive changes in the verticals' tuning.

A 160 contest was coming up in a few days and no chance to get a
variable in place. (Isn't it always? Do any of us ever do anything
sufficiently in advance?) As the story goes, a multi-op effort,
sometime 10 or 11 pm Friday night, one of the operators stepped out
the back door to smoke a cigarette, and noticed a strong acrid burning
smell. Not seeing a fire he ran in to get Bruce to find out what was
burning. Long story to short, the 1500 watts on the phased verticals
put enough current on the tower detuning to totally
smoke/roast/charcoal the detuning cap made up from fixed caps and
stink up the entire back acreage with the smoke therefrom.

The Acom 2000A had auto-tuned around the changing Z to the verticals
as the caps burned up, leaving the smokey back acreage as the only
tangible evidence of what was going on.

Without specific work to prevent it, RF current induced in a tower
will be driven into the dirt at the tower base, via the tower members
themselves, and via capacitive/inductive coupling of dirt from control
cables and coax shields. The circuit equivalent is a parallel feedline
to a big transformer (verticals inducing the tower) connected to a
huge big resistor made of dirt.

Since you have NEC 4.2, no excuse for not doing a whole property model
of all conductive materials and seeing where the current is flowing.
You can validate this by doing current measurements on every conductor
you can reach.

I did a whole property model for Bruce and it clearly showed a
completely unexpected high current on all the towers and conductors at
the base. It immediately pin-pointed the need for multiple detunings.
It also predicted severe far field pattern distortion that was
verified by measurements on a Potomac Instruments FIM-41 commercial
field strength meter at distances 2-5 miles in various directions.

A tower only 250 feet from a 160 vertical should be considered a
close-coupled transformer "winding".

Getting back to where you are

Can you supply the current reading and compass orientation of each of
the radials? There may be something suggested by that data. Also can
you run the following and report those results. (I'm including
rudimentary EZNEC instructions in case others want to do this. I doubt
you need them.)

1) In your model, open the "Loads" window. Add a load to each radial
in the second segment out from the center point. If the upper left
corner of the "Loads" window does not show "Loads (RLC)", then in the
"Other" drop down menu click "Change Load Type" and then click "RLC"
and then "OK".

2) Start with "Short" in all the RLC boxes. If they are anything else,
enter 0 as a value and hit return. Set all the "Config" and "Ext Conn"
to "Ser"

3) Do an "FF Plot" with a 3D "Plot Type" to get the 3D "Average Gain",
displayed beneath the selection grid on the main control window. Mark
that value down as the theoretical minimal loss.

4) On the main window, "Options" menu > "Power Level", adjust the
power level so that in "Load Dat" the "Current =" value is the same as
the largest of your actual measured currents.

5) Using the "Load Dat" button to pump the calculation engine, adjust
each load's R value up in resistance just enough to get the current
values you are measuring on the actual radials. This may cause the
current value of max value radial load to vary. Readjust the "Power
Level" setting to return the max radial current value to measured.

6) When you get the "Load Dat" currents to match measured values all
around, then rerun 3) and mark down "Average Gain" as theoretical
problem average gain.

7) Subtract the value from 3) from the value from 6) and mark it down
as theoretical additional loss in dB from the unbalanced radials.

8) Change "Power Level" to 1500 watts. Click "Load Data" and then add
up the eight "Power =" values. That value would be the theoretical QRO
operating losses in watts implied by the scalar current ratio's you
were getting. I suspect that is a large loss. But do the exercise.

Please pass along the results. Also if you create a whole property
model, please send the dot EZ or dot NEC to me as an attachment.

73, Guy K2AV.