Re: Topband: CQ160 Conditions

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ160 Conditions
From: Kenneth Grimm <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 20:52:03 -0500
I agree that conditions were a long way from being  ideal.  Friday was less
ideal than Saturday.  However, from here in Virginia I managed to work 20
sixes, 33 sevens and 60 fives and that with a very good beverage pointed at
Europe.  If I heard a weak signal answering my CQ and I was having
difficulty getting the call, I would quickly switch directions on the
beverage and it was frequently someone from "beyond the midwest." It was
embarrassing to ask for repeats from stations that were then quite strong.
Europeans were tough on Friday and a little easier on Saturday.  There were
a few that I could hear that were alligators.  I worked 41 in zone 14, 45
in zone 15.  This is about half of what I did in last year's contest. So,
no, it wasn't the greatest ever for me either....on the other hand, I had
the pleasure of exchanging reports with K6RK, W0FLS, W5ZN and VE9AA amongst
the others.  Thanks for those Qs and I hope to see you all again in future
160 tests!
73,
Ken - K4XL