Topband: CQ160 conditions from down-under

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: CQ160 conditions from down-under
From: vk3io <vk3io@iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 18:29:27 +1100
Hello Top Band enthusiasts.

This year we had extreme QRN for most of the contest, throughout Australia, so when signals were workable, it was still almost impossible to make qso's.

We only had good prop to JA and USA / VE / Europe was almost non existent here.

Even though prop to JA was good, there was not a great amount of activity from JA, except for the big two, JA3YBK and JH4UYB and I did not hear any other Asia activity.

I did not even hear one European signal at my SR time and during the European SS peak time, if there was a peak, which is at about 3am my time, I probably missed it, as I fell asleep.

A few day's before the contest we had good prop to Europe at their SS time, so we just lucked it out this year.

I gather, because of the high QRN throughout Australia, there was almost no activity within VK / ZL or the Pacific this year, as the high QRN and poor mostly signals made it so un-enjoyable, again this year.

I hope I live long enough to participate in a future contest, when and if band conditions are as "Good as the old day's".

As I type this report, we are right at this minute having a big electrical storm at my QTH, so I better disconnect everything yet again.

73's till the next contest.