Topband: FT-8

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: FT-8
From: cqtestk4xs--- via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 21:59:15 +0000 (UTC)
This thread has been addressed on various reflectors.
I've tried it, made around 400 contacts or so, and found the mode pretty
boring.  Even with my pileups on FT-8 the mode left me cold.  I felt the same
way with RTTY...tried it and found it boring.  Why?  With CW SSB/AM I felt a
connection with the other person, someone sending with a key or a person
speaking to me.  With RTTY and especially FT-8 my machine is decoding your
machine.  Oh yeah, I know my XCVR is a machine and so is yours, but for me it's
not the same.
I understand why guys get all hot and bothered about the new mode, it gives the
guys who don't know CW a chance to work DX on a mode other than SSB and gives
the weaker signal guys a chance to work DX.  For the guys with bigger stations
it gives them a chance to work the rarer ones on tough bands like, 160 or 6.
Maybe that's why I'm not into FT-8, I've got a big station, and can work CW.
Also, I've never been really into putting the new one in the log as much as
many guys are...I'm more of a contester.
If you want to work your pileups and/or work 300 countries on FT-8, that's fine
with me.  I'm not going to look down my nose at you but please don't
condescendingly  tell me I'm a dinosaur or refuse to accept new technology.
I'm accepting it, I just don't want to be part of it.  No hard feelings.
Bill KH7XS/KH7B/K4XS