Re: Topband: Diversity RX audio example

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Diversity RX audio example
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 22:20:02 -0700
Rick,
The Flex 6600 has 2 SCU’s, and can have 4 slice receivers.
I think the 6700 can have 8 slice receivers.

I do not use a very narrow IF as you do. Typically I will use a 800 or 400 HZ
IF filter and use the APF together with the RX equalizer set to peak at around
400Hz and diminish all other audio frequencies.  Setting your RX EQ on CW to
include all those other frequencies outside your preferred CW tone is
unnecessary and just adds noise.
Using a very narrow IF can be problematic when calling CQ and having callers
most of the time being off my exact QRG.  With a more open filter, and even
with the EQ settings and APF, I can usually hear them. Of coarse I can also
“see” them on the waterfall if they are strong enough.
However…I will experiment a bit more with narrow IF filtering and check it out.

steve