Topband: [Fwd: Re: 4U1ITU & K8GG operating 160.]

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: [Fwd: Re: 4U1ITU & K8GG operating 160.]
From: k8gg@voyager.net
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 18:10:00 -0500 (EST)
Hi Steve,  Hi Topbanders,

Good to see the post on Topband reflector.

Yes, I was there in December 1987 when we visited my wife's cousin's
family east of Geneva and I met Steve, AA4V at 4U1ITU.  We only had a few
days in Switzerland, and I drove in every morning for the sunrise openings
on 160 & 80 meters.   Conditions were not great, but I did work a few US
stations including NR1R on Topband if my memory is correct.

I was also there in December 1977 when the cousin's family lived in an
apartment in Geneva within walking distance of 4U1ITU.  Conditions were
better at that time, as was the 160 meter antenna.

As Steve mentioned, joining the 4U1ITU radio club made it easy to use the
station.  It is important to familiarize yourself with the station set up
and learn the over-night access routine during the day time.  To get the
actual membership card one needs to join ahead of time and make an
appointment with the station manager.  It also helps to know a little
French for the security guards.

Most of the cousin's family now live in The Netherlands, so I will not be
going back to operate.  Also I am twice the age now and getting up early
is much harder to do.  HI

73 & GL to all,  George, K8GG.