Re: Topband: Fresnel Zone

To: "Ray Higgins (W2RE)" <ray.w2re@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fresnel Zone
From: Dennis Egan <egan.dennis88@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 10:17:22 -0400
Having operated from the W1KM station, that has 40, 80, and 160M 4-squares
in a salt water marsh,
your success may depend on how much salt water intrusion you have into the
marsh each day.  That's
something that pictures may not tell, but a quick taste of the water at
high tide will tell you if its salty
or fresh.  The saltier the better for the low bands- it will reduce losses
in the near field of the antenna
as you improve the ground conductivity.

The salt water intrusion into the marsh at W1KM is high enough that, when
there is storm surge, the bottoms
of the verticals are shorted out by the seawater.  That's also produced
problems when there is ice in the water-
more than once it has broken the insulating pipes that the verticals sit on.

Dennis W1UE