Re: Topband: Summer Update & a Surprise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Summer Update & a Surprise
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 06:55:14 -0400
I reached the same pivot point that Jeff did this year but choose the other
path.  I have left DXing from a band perspective.  FT8 is not enjoyable to
me and doing something not enjoyable to build totals is not a good use of
time for me.  I am looking for 9BWAZ and ATNO counters on modes now only.
Hoping that there will remain some remaining activity on the fringe bands to
make that pursuit still enjoyable.

Unfortunately, with all due respect to Jeff, the decisions made on 6M are
exactly why 160 CW WILL be killed and those looking at their growing FT8
band totals can look in the mirror and thank themselves for insuring it.
Don't let 160M become exactly 6M by just joining in and then bemoaning its
demise on CW.

Thankfully, CW and SSB contesting is thriving and continues to be a
fantastic experience for me.  I am focusing my radio time on those areas and
keeping my eye on 9BWAZ and my few remaining mode ATNO opportunities.

Lots of fun ahead to try and work about my remaining 10 zones on 160M and 4
zones on 80M.  Now is the time at the low end of the cycle.

I don't say anything negative to people making choices different than mine.
But don't kid yourselves on how your own choices are affecting the outcome.
THEY ARE!

Ed  N1UR