Re: Topband: FT-8 performance

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT-8 performance
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 16:09:55 -0500
I'm not sure how FT-8 calculates the reported S/N number. I found very little information on the subject and what I did find was not easily understandable. What I did was an experiment in which I was able to get close to the same number being reported. According to what I have read about FT-8, it does not implement the same method as I was using in my testing.

It was very obvious to me that the number being reported was useless. .Example: How would you be able to report a S/N of -1 dB when the station is S9+40 db on the S meter and the receiver reads S1 when tuned to a spot with no stations. (Actual measurement)

I made a guess that the number being reported was actually a signal to noise plus signal ratio S1(S1 + N), where N is the sum of everything else in the passband. The S9+40 db station in the example would be the main contributor to the overall level of the total stuff in the passband and that total is just a little more than his signal alone, so -1 dB now makes sense. This seems to work and it works on other FT-8 signals as well.

Jerry, K4SAV