Re: Topband: BOG height

To: "'K4SAV'" <RadioXX@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG height
From: "FZ Bruce" <k1fz@twc.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 17:33:56 +0000
North Haven Island is close to my QTH across water. Sam Beverage W1MGP
(sk) a relative of Harold and locals had a Friday evening 10 meter SSB
schedule. We discussed Harold's antennas often. Years went by and it
was rare for someone to miss the schedule.
The problem with the BOG is not the antenna, but new users who try to
use above ground Beverage information to make it work..
The "on ground" part of the antenna often does not work right because
sand and other non-conductive soil are insulators. Over insulating
soil it does act like a real Beverage antenna.
Its a good antenna. Every few years there are a few new DXers trying
to figure it out.
73
Bruce -k1fz