Re: Topband: 160 portable vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 portable vertical
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 19:08:12 -0400
PaT

What Mike says is only partially true about receiving antennas ..... Ideal yes ..... but not necessary...especially for a casual family vacation DXepedition and I think Mike might have missed the part where you said in DECEMBER, a quieter winter month . I worked well over 100 countries with Inverted L's and no receiving antennas for years. This year alone I have worked 21 countries and 47 states so far this SUMMER with an inverted L and no receiving antenna ( over half of those on CW for you who like to trash FT8) . If you were going to do a contest and try to be highly competitive then a receiving antenna would be a good idea to be sure ...Maybe a BOG on the beach 8^). Your biggest challenge will be being heard at all, running QRP or low power... There are a few died in the wool low power guys on here who will disagree with me but 160 is a big amp band IMO more so than any other.

Dave
NR1DX