Topband: spark gap construction ideas for 160m tower

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: spark gap construction ideas for 160m tower
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 13:27:58 -0500
I need to add a spark gap of some sort onto my full-size 160m insulated-base tower.  Looking for ideas.

Making the spark gap is simple.  What has me asking for ideas is the weather element - we have a lot of snow, ice, rain here and a spark gap needs to keep that stuff off.  But put a little cover over it, right?  Well, yes but if the cover is not fully enclosed, then you have wasps and spiders making nests there.  If it's enclosed, then you have condensation and ants.

I like the idea of W8JI's two balls close to each other - the surface area is large so accumulated pitting won't change the spacing and thus the BDV much.  And the water will drain off away from the contact points.  But what does a guy make that out of if he does not have a set of brass balls in his junkbox.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com