Re: Topband: Ground return wire under a Beverage

To: Manuals@ArtekManuals.com,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground return wire under a Beverage
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 02:18:56 +0000
Dave,

Think of the Beverage as an unbalanced transmission line.  Its
output is much higher because it is unbalanced with the soil/ground, even
one that is
two-direction and made with coax, twisted pair, or parallel wires.

Placing a return wire under the Beverage will reduce its output
because the currents in the Beverage and ground would then
have a tendancy to cancel each other.  That includes Beverages strung
over wire fences.

Recall from past comments on this reflector that Beverages don't
work well over salt water, but receive very well over poor soil.

IIRC, ON4UN says in his book that any parallel wires to the Beverage
should
be a distance greater than the Beverage is high.  So, a 10-ft high
Beverage shouldn't have any parallel wires within 10-ft of it (preferably
further).  That includes any buried or aerial coax lines or wires.

73,
Charlie, N0TT