Re: Topband: A Bit of Zone 2 History -- FT8

To: topband@contesting.com <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A Bit of Zone 2 History -- FT8
From: GEORGE WALLNER <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 01:16:35 -0500
Gentlemen,
I think we need to be a bit more thoughtful about the role of FT8.
"Real Amateur Radio" probably started to disappear 40 years ago: digital transceivers, SSB, Yagis on rotators, etc. Although the magic was diminishing, the "barrier to entry" to good DX was getting lower and more people were able to join and enjoy the hobby. Ultimately, not a bad thing. 160 meters endured longer as "real Amateur Radio" because it remained difficult and unpredictable. And 160 was mostly CW, which is an ultra-difficult personal skills based communications mode! 160 remained "magical". Well, like it or not, technology has caught up with 160 meters in the shape of FT8. The new mode has taken some of the magic out, but it brought in new blood. Look at a band-scope on any weeknight: there are lots of signals around 1840 and not much between 1820 and 1835. Many of hose signals around 1840 are new 160 m ops enjoying Amateur Radio. Granted, not the same sweat-and-tears radio that we are used to, but still Amateur Radio.

73 and CU on TB CW,
George,
AA7JV/C6AGU

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 12:50:23 -0500