Re: Topband: 160 status this am

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 status this am
From: K9FD <merv.k9fd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 08:45:54 -1000
I work 630M also, last nite at 0830 I checked my WSPR log and was copying
JA1PKG,  so I had a good idea that 160 at sunrise would be a good bet.
When I fired up before sunrise I worked H40TT barefoot while the amp was
warming up,  did not hear much on CW and I noticed some big signals up
the band on FT-8,   sure enough the band was wide open and full of signals,
from 4s7AB to VR2, all over Asia,  tons of Russian UA9, UN7 etc etc and good
signals from SM, LA, DL, LX, S58 etc.   Worked over 20 stations in short order.
sounded like the 2008 era when I could work 40 or 50 EU easy on the sunrise
path.  Its looking good,  I saw spotted 5H but was late arriving and heard nothing,
that would be one of my last two zones from this QTH.
Sounding great so far, should improve as the season progresses,
73 Merv K9FD   Molokai Island Hawaii
Having hooked my inverted L yesterday I woke early (not on purpose) so grabbed
some coffee and turned on the radio. I could hear JA from Ohio on the Hi-Z an
hour before my sunrise. Called a few times to no avail. 15 minutes later put
two JAs in the log. Heard peeps of some other Asian stuff but no real copy.

Topband could be good this season!

73 Dan W8CAR