Topband: Lack of Twilight Peak

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lack of Twilight Peak
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:27:26 -0000
Sorry to post a string of comments . . . but there's something else I wanted
to mention.

Great that conditions have been good this week . . . like many, I've been
working all over the world on Top Band, even on the same evening !

However, having been a 160m DXer for 50 years, it's weird that over the past
couple of years I have usually noticed NO peak on signals to or from North
America at your Sunset or our Sunrise.

Historically, I would expect at least a 10dB peak at these times . . . but
if anything I notice the reverse now.  Signals both ways peak a good hour
AFTER your Sunset . . . and signals drop off around our Sunrise !  This is
noted both by listening to actual stations, as well as noting my own RBN
reports.

I did wonder if this phenomenon might be due to the fact that - unlike most
160m DXers - I use a low horizontal dipole. However, I also constantly
switch between my Tx Ant and my Receiving Loop, which receives low angle
signals better . . . and the lack of peak is much the same on both antennas.

I wonder if any other EU stations have noticed the same thing?

Roger G3YRO