Re: Topband: BOG Beverage on Ground Help

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG Beverage on Ground Help
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 13:09:24 -0600
Mikek said:
"I'd like to apply the loading to a BOG to slow the VF and make it seems longer. ie. make a 80 meter BOG length work on 160 Meters. But then make the reactance go away for 80 Meters
 My actual goal is to have a BOG that covers 500kHz to 4MHz. "

Mikek, I see you haven't given up on this project. Experimentation with antennas is one of the things I like to do too. Good luck with this. I won't offer possible alternatives to do this (there are several) but will consider only your desired approach.

I don't see any switches in your circuit diagram to switch series inductors, so I assume you are trying to make them variable and have them operate from 500 kHz to 4 MHz.

There are some difficult tasks ahead to make this work over a frequency range of 8 to 1.. One is the RF choke. EZNEC simulations show you need about 1mH or more to get enough impedance at 500 kHz. The problem is that the self resonance of the choke has to be well above 4 MHz. A distributed capacitance of the choke of 1.6 pf would cause the choke to resonant on 4 MHz, so the distributed capacitance must be significantly less than that. It may be possible to build an inductor like that but it will have to be an air wound coil using very small wire and well separated from its surroundings. A ferrite or powder irom core won't work. Accepting some degradation of the pattern at 500 kHz would decrease the choke requirements. Other than that, I don't have a solution for this, other than something complicated, like switching chokes as a function of frequency.

Those values of inductance were derived from simulations and there is some possibility the numbers may not agree with experimental results.

Position of the wire carrying the current may affect the pattern if it is close. Too close (like in the same cable) and the capacitance between the wires will effectively short out the inductors at RF.

The resistive component of the impedance of the series inductors is important. Inductor material is important. If the resistance is too large, it will kill the response of the antenna.

DC blocking caps should present no problems.

I assume you have breadboarded the series variable inductor and determined the inductance range needed to cover this frequency range.

Mikek said:
"I see certain measurements for the length of a BOG, such as 200ft for for 160 meters."

You will find various recommendations for BOG lengths from different people. I didn't trust NEC to give a correct answer for this so I spent a month comparing a 250 ft BOG to a 366 ft one. I posted my results here:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Topband/2018-08/msg00073.html

Jerry, K4SAV