Re: Topband: H40TT on 160m

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: H40TT on 160m
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 06:46:55 -0500
I finally worked them, just a couple
minutes ago FT8 @ 11:30Z, on their 1.836
band plan, Right in the middle of my gray
line, 6:30AM local.

I'm lucky to hear them at this time, I'm
75' from AMTRAK and gray line is always
obliterated heavy commuter rail traffic
with me being 5 minutes away from New
London, CT, a major hub between Boston &
NYC. During the contest I missed several
gray line contacts because I couldn't hear
anything for 30 seconds with each passing
train and that's the busiest commuter
time.

Grouse grouse...

One of the impressive things I notice with
JTDX's FT8 waterfall, while the P3 shows
bright red obliteration of the signal and
headphones are also obliterated when the
trains pass, with the JTDX waterfall there
is almost no indication of the RFI from
the train passing. I was -22 & they were
-18 so the signals were low indeed.

Ah well, they're in the log now. Love 160,
it's never a sure bet.

73,

Gary
KA1J