Re: Topband: 12V through coax

To: tony.kaz@verizon.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 12V through coax
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 16:55:52 +0000
For my relay reversible DHDL's used on 160 & 80m, I'm using 0.1uf 500v DC blocking capacitors, particularly the Kemet X7R MLCC SMD ones. digikey 399-6747-1-nd There are enough parts for reversibility that I designed a small PCB with ExpressPCB so SMD parts made sense.

The RFC inductor choice depends on the current draw, for my design, all in was 92ma so a ferrite core design with a saturation current (10% reduction in L) of 120ma was ok at 450uH and an SRF of 4.5MHz. From Wurth, SMD again. digikey 732-10766-1-ND

Automotive grade thick film 1/2 and 1w SMD resistors have very high surge ratings so are what I used for terminators. If you have some old A-B carbon ones in your stash, they are a good choice.

These parts worked well at H40TT on two DHDLs and we had some T-storms nearby without damage.

Grant KZ1W