Topband: Propagation observations

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Propagation observations
From: Mark Lunday <wd4elg@outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 21:00:08 +0000
Not trying to agitate, just making an observation about 160 meters.

If I can easily copy FT8 signals  coming from EU on my simple inverted L at my
North Carolina QTH a full 80 minutes before sunset on 160, is there any reason
why I should not be able to make a CW QSO?

I always followed common wisdom from others on top band (and mostly for 80
meters)...if the sun is up, DX is nil due to ionospheric absorption (VA2GU
exceptions notwithstanding).

But I was copying EA8DO at 2020 UTC today, and not ESP...I could occasionally
hear the audio tones.  So why can't I do a CW QSO?

And then there's the skewed long-path from US NE and Canada to VK6 that has
been workable daily on 80 meter SSB.  Since JULY!  Thanks to K2RR and VA2GU who
clued me in, and I was heard on that path in VK6....in July.

So I am starting to listen BEFORE sunset on 80 and 160.  The mystery continues,
especially with a spotless sun.

Mark Lunday, WD4ELG
Greensboro, NC  FM06be
wd4elg@arrl.net<mailto:wd4elg@arrl.net>
http://wd4elg.blogspot.com
SKCC #16439  FISTS #17972  QRP ARCI #16497