Topband: Receive chokes

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Receive chokes
From: "tony.kaz--- via Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 15:47:40 -0500
I have  a pair of Pennants and a couple BOGS. The Pennants I dual feed. At
each end I have a small box with a terminating resistor, relay and BN-73-202
binocular core transformer. I feed 12V through the RG6 which is all
underground to select which direction. Without 12V the relay is not
energized the terminating resistor is switched in. With 12V on the coax the
relay switches in and the transformer is hooked up. Been doing it for years
and it seems to work okay.
I got some #75A/5975001401 cores. Going to double them up and use individual
molded pairs of CAT5 I have as per K9YC for chokes.
I plan on mounting the chokes in 4x4 water tight boxes and place on the
ground or low on nearby trees where the RG6 comes up out of the ground.
Should I attach the shield of the RG6 at the box to a ground rod or let it
float? If I should add a ground rod should I put it on the antenna side or
the shack side of the box?
For the BOGs I just use a binocular core matching transformer at the
feedpoint and a series cap since there is 12V on the coax. I have a ground
rod at the feedpoint and at the termination. I plan on just using a very
short piece of RG6 between the matching transformer and the choke since
there is already a ground rod close by.
Comments and recommendations welcome.
73,
N2TK, Tony