Topband: EU condx

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: EU condx
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 09:36:26 -0700
In spite of a geo-mag K index of 3 and elevated solar wind above 350 km/s, the
trans-polar path from VE6 to EU has been open the last few nights.

Last night the EU pile-up for both the HU1 and TI9 was amazing.  Here is a
screen shot of the Flex waterfall which shows the EU callers.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vcZk1lc1OsphXI8zHjd11eezk3XHvNnz/view?usp=sharing

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vcZk1lc1OsphXI8zHjd11eezk3XHvNnz/view?usp=sharing>

Most of those calling are EU since the TI9 was calling for EU only. The pile
goes from 1824 to 1830.  Listening to the callers the band was open across all
of EU from UA, northern EU, and even south and west EU were making it.

Last night I only worked 8 EU, but while CQing 5 kHz above the HU1 there were a
few times I thought I had some strong EU callers, but they were calling the
HU1.  It seemed everyone last night was focused on the HU1 and TI9.
The night before I worked 16 EU in spite of the elevated K index, but the
signals were watery, weak, and broken up from the AU.

This season I have logged 1,518 EU QSOs, 382 AS QSOs and 163 OC QSOs since
August.  Many new, never worked before on 160m calls are in the log.
108 DXCC worked in those same 6 months.

It seems condx have been favourable to VE6 this winter, while the southern
latitudes have had more muted propagation to EU.  However, it seems that as
long as the band is open, there is still a great deal of CW activity.

73, de steve ve6wz