Re: Topband: Inquiring minds want to know....

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inquiring minds want to know....
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 16:52:11 -0400
Hi Dave,

Sorry, I don't know the answer(s) to your questions but did want to say,
thanks for writing this.  I find it very interesting reading.

I know VY2ZM conducted some experiments around noon on 160m (and lower???)
some years back.  Wish I could find it again, but he was able to make it
into EU (as I recall) using some pretty cool methods and freq's.

I know occasionally I'll be testing 160m or 80m antennas here in the daytime
and get spotted by some skimmers way out west.

I do recall that in 1997 we were at CY9AA north Island with a balloon
supported 160m vertical and a gigantic (pre-existing) ground screen and we
could hear EU not long after noontime..and work them a short time later.
(some were posting "slim slim" on the packetcluster we found out.)

Again, not really like your observations, so don't let my comments distract.

I look forward to others weighing in with VLF observations.  Below 160m is
one place I have not yet explored, but I know there's a handful of folks
playing with those freqs. (VE1ZZ(sk), VO1HP, VE7SL and no doubt many others
worldwide.

Appreciate you posting this.  Makes me wanna go tune around down there and
see what I'm missing.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB