Topband: Subject: Re: Very little NA Activity

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Subject: Re: Very little NA Activity
From: W7RH <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 21:42:34 +0000
Nick and Roger,

Gee if I could only be so lucky. The last modestly good opening here in Arizona was during CQWW 160 CW with the Stew Perry close behind. Contests aside the period close to Winter Solstice is always one not to miss with a few openings to Eastern and Northern EU at sunrise.

I've been active on 160m since 1975 and will state in my opinion solar cycle 23 was the best for low band operation in modern times. In that period I worked DXCC on 160m with 100W in one season mostly in contests but had openings to Europe most nights. This has not been the case in cycle 24. The solar wind and the migrating magnetic north pole have been my enemy. The prominence of the aurora oval as the earth spins on axis puts the aurora in dead path blocking all EU and eastern Africa during their sunrise or near sunrise periods. Many of those you mention in contacts are not under that influence. They are far enough north or east to no be affected. Guys in NW US 7 land and VE6WZ have the advantage of being close enough to the aurora that they can with good antennas beam under the absorption.

With the above said I'm still there most nights to check band conditions. As far activity goes we all know where they are at but I can't say that I blame them. Even many top big guns are there in that one little segment of the band.

From my perspective of the big picture geographically my location pretty much sucks under current conditions and am forced to look at large swaths of planet Earth with little or no activity period. I've seen what looks like good openings where as the other end could not hear me. I attribute that to like trying to work the east coast of US early in a contest where as they are not listening west. They are going for the big multipliers NE and East. By the way, a good opening for me is 10km or more unlike the eastern guys perception of 3-5km

Such is life on 160m.

73,Bob

W7RH

--
W7RH DM35os

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our
humanity." - Albert Einstein