Topband: New RFI Source

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: New RFI Source
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:49:00 -0700
As mentioned earlier, last night I noted a drifting birdie sweeping up and down the 160 meter band.  Hans, SM6CVX, wrote to suggest a switched mode power supply was the culprit.

To make a long story short, I recently installed one of these to archive some VHS tapes:

https://www.amazon.com/HDML-Cloner-Supported-Schedule-capturing-Supported/dp/B01LX22X2T?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I figured the wall wart, but the signal persists slightly after unplugging it then dies, so it looks like something internal.  Easy fix is to plug it in only when necessary.

FWIW, although it's highly unlikely anyone else will have this particular issue.

Wes  N7WS