Re: Topband: T Top Verticals and yagis

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: T Top Verticals and yagis
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 21:47:54 -0500
Hi Rick,

One more comment.  I believe AM broadcast stations try to avoid phase
cancellation between skywave and ground wave, and therefore they try and
avoid antennas that have a high angle lobe.  I'm pretty sure that's why the
AM broadcast stations that tried such things as a 5/8 wave length radiator
determined that this caused phase cancellation problems between ground wave
and skywave and abandoned radiators that were this tall.  (I might have
some of the exact details incorrect, but believe I have listed the general
problem they ran into which caused them to rethink ground wave versus
skywave and their antenna designs).

Don (wd8dsb)