Re: Topband: NVIS Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: NVIS Antenna
From: "m.r.c." <mrc02@kinderteacher.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 18:21:32 -0700
Receive only comment.

A low dipole - 15 feet average, uneven ground - Receive Only - accounted for something like 40% of the contacts with NA from XZ0A. During the first 2 hours at Sunset, the low dipole heard signals that the admittedly not all that good beverages could not hear at all. Site had a pretty good noise floor for Asia. on an island on Diesel power.

This was during a higher portion of the sunspot cycle so the polar oval was quite large preventing most of NA from having a clean direct path. Our signal - 1500W into a elevated radial elevated feedpoint full size quarter wave tower - was invariably heard via the SW path when heard east of the Midwest. so we were dealing with ducting and greyline bending.

the point is - again - you can never have too many receive antennas. An NVIS receive antenna can significantly benefit your receive capabilities. YMMV especially based on location. Equatorial regions seem to benefit more from NVIS RX and or Horizontal polarization.

On Transmit it appears the ground absorption negates the benefits for longer haul paths where better efficiency is needed - until you get the dipole high enough to stop heating the gophers.

Robin  WA6CDR

XZ0A-XZ1N, etc

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wes" <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>