Topband: KV4FZ

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: KV4FZ
From: lstoskopf@cox.net
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 09:27:15 -0500 (CDT)
Herb had a full life, but unfortunately all must end.  I used to work him back
in the early 60s from Kansas to Minnesota:  W0PSF to W0VXO.  I joined the Army
Reserve and had a summer two weeks at Camp Ripley, MN. so went to visit him.
He met me at the door and my Captain and I were treated with coffee and such
while there was some moving of something heavy from a back room.  Then he came
out and we got a tour of the shack and a very well put together vertical
antenna installation.  Great guy..  On the way back to camp the Captain asked
me about the  noise from the back room.  I tried to explain about the 100 watt
limit on that band back there, but he never understood.

And I was lucky enough to visit W1BB at his shack and the water tower location.
 Got to hit the key on his spark rig which was still operational.

And, K2RIW moved on this week.  We're lucky to have some new giants developing
on 630M, etc. that some will talk about in the future.  Meanwhile, Herb will be
keeping the heavens warm I'm sure.

N0UU