Re: Topband: Loop on the ground as a counterpoise

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Loop on the ground as a counterpoise
From: K4SAV <RadioXX@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 08:00:36 -0500
Without more detail of your system, the cause is only a guess. Here are some possibilities.

A single wire isn't much of a ground plane. It will make a vertical directional. When you change from a single wire to a different ground system you will change the antenna pattern. You should expect some difference in noise performance.

Since a single wire is a poor ground system, if it is closer to a local noise source than a different ground system, it could be picking up more noise.

Since a single wire is not a good ground system, and if you don't have a very good choke at the antenna feedpoint, the coax could be acting as part of the antenna. Changing the ground system also changes the effects of the coax.

A longer wire used for ground will have a lower resonant frequency and may provide a lower impedance at the frequency of interest, providing more decoupling for the coax.

Those are all just possibilities. Further experimentation may determine the real answer. It's not likely that NEC will show the answer.

Solution: Change to a good ground system as suggested by some of the other responders.

Since you have been playing with loops on the ground as receiving antennas, you may be interested in reading the results of my experiments here:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Topband/2018-08/msg00019.html

Jerry, K4SAV