Re: Topband: Some experiments with a short beverage, not succeeding very

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Some experiments with a short beverage, not succeeding very well
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 12:43:23 -0500
Hi Mark,

After following this thread, and assuming that your coax connectors etc.
are properly installed, I strongly suspect that you need to improve your RF
earth ground. Its resistance is likely too high.

Add some random-length ground radials, about 4 or 5 of them running from
the rod in different directions and at least 25' to 50' long. No need to
bury them, just staple them to the earth.

You can also use the tried-and-true Army Signal Corps Epsom Salts method,
even after you drive in another ground rod. Search the Topband Archives for
"epsom", and check out
https://web.archive.org/web/20181115070846/http://www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html#Beverage_antenna_grounds
.

Also, at the Beverage feedpoint:
 - Your coax shield should NOT be grounded to the ground rod and radials.
 - That shield should only be connected to one side of the 50 ohm winding
of your 9:1 matching transformer. That is explained there in several
places, especially near the bottom of that webpage.

73, Mike
W0BTU