Re: Topband: Shunt Fed Tower SWR Troubles

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt Fed Tower SWR Troubles
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:28:13 -0500
Had the same issue as you Lloyd here - in a prior antenna matching net.  On 160 it would start to drift after calling CQ a few times.  I did not flip to vac caps.  But instead ended up using lower valued, paralleled doorknobs, so that the current was shared among multiple paralleled caps and as a result the drift was much less from what I assume was a larger surface area to dissipate whatever heat there was.  Could have been a lousy initial cap as well.  Hard to say.

But if the op has fixed pads in there, this is definitely a place to look.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com