Re: Topband: Beverages and VK

To: K9FD <merv.k9fd@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages and VK
From: VE6WZ Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 15:57:36 -0600 (MDT)
Merv,
I couldn’t agree more.  As Merv says....“It’s hard as heck to get EU to listen
on the skew path”.
Last year when the AU was fairly quiet, the direct EU polar path prevailed, but
in years past, the skew path was very common. This is also very true for the
deep Asia path (HS, 9M2 etc) from VE6 because they are also on a very northerly
path. The JAs are not often skewed, usually direct path. All this is also very
common on 80m. It is quite normal for the EU signals to be skewed to the south,
as Merv says, sometimes with the Yagi pointed to SA. That’s almost a 90 deg
path skew!  This is NOT subtle, there are time when I have zero copy direct
path, but Q5 with the Yagi pointed 90 deg skew. The problem is that many EU ops
find that “most of NA” is direct path, but often the west coast and KH6 is
coming in over SA, but they don’t move their RX!
Wherever you live in the world, when working the lowbands always check for a
skewed southerly path when the direct path is close to the pole.

Having said that, the arrival angle change near sunrise or sunset is also very
common, and can be quite dramatic.

73, de Steve Ve6wz

From Babcocks iPhone