Re: Topband: RFI Down Under

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI Down Under
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 00:08:27 -0800
On 11/22/2020 10:16 PM, Phil Hartwell via Topband wrote:
Is it any wonder that HF operation is becoming increasingly difficult or impossible in urban areas? I'm lucky to live in an RF quiet rural area, so to preserve that I closely inspect any new equipment my gadget addicted XYL brings home! Apart from seasonal QRN, I hear very well on Top Band, it's frustrating, as I know many others can't hear me, not just because of QRN, but due to their high, local, man made noise level. A very sad state of affairs. I dread the proliferation of cordless charging devices and electric vehicle cordless charging, could be game over!

Hi Phil,

This has long been a huge problem worldwide. I first moved to northern California in 2006, and for the next 3-5 years, was able to work EU stations through the solar minimum, and you and I worked several times with your old call.

Fast forward to today -- I've HEARD five EU stations on CW in the last six seasons, all in the last two, and only two have been able to hear me, even though I have better TX antennas than I did then. The difference is noise at both ends of the QSO. I have two neighbors within about 500 ft of my TX antennas with solar systems, and one has a lot of other noise sources. With my 7-el 30 ft boom 6M antenna, I can see a bit of a dip in the noise between them, one at about 60 degrees, the other at about 130 degrees. When the sun is hitting those panels, I'm really hurting in those directions.

Over the last three seasons, the only way I can work EU is with WSJT modes, and I've managed to add about 18 EU countries over two seasons.

73, Jim K9YC