Re: Topband: Suggested Frequency

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Suggested Frequency
From: K9FD <merv.k9fd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 14:37:32 -1000
When I purchased this property in Hawaii,  there were two 830kc towers left from the KAIM 50KW station.   I made a matching network and loaded up for the Stew perry, only had my exciter so ran low power,  if I remember correct I was number 1 low
power world wide..  but my memory is corrupted so would have to look it up.
Tower radiated very well and I only had it to receive on as well.
Location Im sure is part of it,  but I remember at the time all advice was against even
trying.
Worked for me.
I gave the feed point info for 830KC to a top band guru and he gave me the L and C needed for 160,  his figures were dead on the money.  Did not even need to tune it.
73 Merv K9FD
Our club is working on a project where we will be able to use a AM Broadcast antenna on 160 meters.

Don't get your hope up. Roughly 40 years ago, I did that, along with another ham, at a daytimer for which another ham friend was the chief engineer. As I recall, the station was around 830 kHz, and was in a northwestern Chicago suburb. We had no problem loading the tower, but couldn't hear a bloody thing, even after trying to rig a Beverage the second night. Zero QSOs.

73, Jim K9YC