Re: Topband: Low Dipoles

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Low Dipoles
From: Fred Moeves <fmoeves@twc.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 13:57:31 -0500

Plenty of more experienced operators have already gave their insight.
But... here's my 2 cents..

When I started back in the 80s.
I first tried Dipole on 160 worked a few local stations out to 200-300 miles. I then tried to load short tower I really didn't know what I was doing so that failed.

I then tried a low full wave loop it received well but wasn't any better then the low Dipole.

I really didn't see a big improvement until I went to a inverted L over a good number of radials.
And the addition of receive antennas.
K9AY loop and Beverages even short Beverages work.

And a side note just before the weather here in Ky turned bad.
I tried a DHDL and could not get it to work.
I probably had it to close to my north Beverage.
I try again when it warms up.

I think you just have to have fun a build a few different antennas and see what works. If I would have had an Elmer back then I might not have tried the Loop or Dipole...Maybe..

 Fred KB4QZH