Re: Topband: Beverages and Noise

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages and Noise
From: Paul Mcl <paul.mcl@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 12:33:40 +0000
Roger,

It’s not just the VDSL noise but the SMPSU’s as well that give me grief
round here.  VDSL affected 30m most as I have overhead poles in my back
garden so limited option to escape.  VDSL cabinet was a street away.

I found the RX loop (Wellbrook) worked poorly near the house and put it
outside where it performed much better also with a rotator but agree EW
would be my preference if I had to choose a fixed position.

I also tried with 2 short terminated beverages each 40m long running along
a garden wall EW. They worked ok and complimented the RX loop to give me
better coverage.   I can’t say they were excellent as comparing in a noise
free option was a choose but I used them for a couple of seasons before I
changed to remote RX in a field a couple of hundred metres away using a
WiFi link where I put out 2 x 200m long beverages in a lot quieter location.

It might vary at your QTH but worth trying as putting up a short beverage
temporarily to try as it won’t break the bank.

Regards

Paul MM0ZBH