Re: Topband: Wednesday CW DX Activity Night

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Wednesday CW DX Activity Night
From: Mark Connelly via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 17:36:02 +0000 (UTC)
British medium wave stations may be usable to indicate viable propagation.

Here in Massachusetts, I frequently hear 693, 882, 909, 1053, 1089, and 1215
kHz.

Absolute Radio on 1215 is probably the most consistent. Rock music format
stands out. Its position halfway between two US channels (1210, 1220) helps.

Depending on what your local interference is, one of the other channels may be
better.

Sometimes the aurora impedes northern European reception but the path to Spain
and North Africa is still good. There are a number of stations from that area
that can be checked.

This might be useful:
https://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/doc1/audio_2020.htm

Local sunset here and just before dawn on the eastern end of the route tend to
be slightly better than the middle of the night.

Going the other way, Europeans may want to check for North American MW signals.
590 and 930 from Newfoundland are best. ME on 1390, MA on 850, and NYC on 1010
and 1130 are common.

Propagation on those lower frequencies may or may not indicate 160m viability,
but it can be a useful tool besides more customary things that depend on hams
being on the air.
Mark Connelly, WA1ION | South Yarmouth, MA, USA | FN41vq

<<
Well activity is when there is Propagation, ie during the darkness hours,
from your Sunset to Sunrise where you want to work.

I personally come on from around midnight our time (0000 Z), and try and pop
back on a couple of times during the night.  Sunrise here in Britain is
currently around 0700 Z.

Roger G3YRO