Re: Topband: FW: The WD8DSB mini-flag antenna (LONG!)

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FW: The WD8DSB mini-flag antenna (LONG!)
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 23:24:27 -0500
Hi Jim,

It’s funny that you brought up this topic as yesterday when I was doing
comparisons of the signal I could hear on my 160 meter vertical TX antenna
versus my portable flag, I increased the averaging value on my portable SDR
receiver connected to my portable flag and the signal that was barely
visible on the RF spectrum display when using my portable flag suddenly
stuck out like a sore thumb when I increased the averaging value from 2 to
10 (the peaks of the noise floor dropped way down and smoothed right out).
This was a signal that was only 0.6 S units above my noise floor on my
TS-180s using my TX vertical and 1.0 S units above my noise floor when
using my half size pennant.  I’m indeed able to see signals using my
portable flag with the DX engineering preamp that are not much above my
main stations noise floor (but I don’t know what my main stations noise
floor really measures, nevertheless I don’t consider it abnormally high).
I will try and determine my main stations noise floor as time permits.

Just FYI, and 73.

Don (wd8dsb)