Re: Topband: CQ ssb contest

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>, Ron Spencer <ron.spencer@zoho.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ ssb contest
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 12:23:46 -0800
On 2/27/2021 11:01 AM, Tree wrote:
My general comments about the contest.

Back about 15 years ago - it seemed like there was plenty of activity above
1900.  AA1K spent most of the contest in 1999 kHz.  Maybe it was conditions
- but it seemed to be a lot less going on this year above 1.9 MHz.  I had

I thought about retuning my TX vertical somewhat higher temporarily
just for this contest, but I was thinking that many stations would not
have the capability to go above 1.9 MHz, so CQ'ing up there would have
limited success.  Without changing from my "normal" CW setting, I can
get away with going up to almost 1.9 MHz before the Alpha 9500 complains
too much.

What is really needed is a remote switched tuning network that would
divide the band into eight 25 kHz segments.  Then I could S&P the high
frequency stations on a demand basis.  It is on my "someday" list of
things to build.  I already have built one for 80/75 meters with 8
segments, so the design is in my head.

Rick N6RK