Topband: Topband openings and strange propagation

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband openings and strange propagation
From: Bob Kile <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 01:14:21 +0000
I will parrot the comments of Tree and Ron regarding call signs in contests on the reflector. Sudo callsign verification via web is verboten.

I was 160m operator at K0RF in ARRL DX CW. I had a German contest station call me two hours after his sunrise. I had no doubt it was real but could not complete the QSO in the super brief opening over the pole.

In my 45 plus years operating 160m I've heard some strange things. I'll cite long delayed echoes of over3-4 seconds only heard in a 50 mile radius. Aki JA5DQH reported several years ago of super long delayed echoes of 25 hours 29 minutes. I have heard Antarctica station call CQ for over two hours with no takers anywhere else while solid at my location.

My take from out west is this season has had the poorest conditions I can recall in the past twenty years. This weekend apparently is no exception.

Bob W7RH

--
W7RH DM35OJ

 “Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds.”
– Albert Einstein