Re: Topband: Adding 80 m to 160 m quarterwave vertical

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Adding 80 m to 160 m quarterwave vertical
From: List Mail <mail10@barefoothorse.com.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 22:58:07 +1000
Hi Rob,
I have a ceramic power pole insulator at the base of the tower, so I’m not
concerned about voltage there.
Incidentally, I measured the impedance of the tower at the base as 666 ohms at
it’s resonant frequency of 3.14 MHz. At 3.51 MHz it is 391 – j386 ohms, so it’s
longer than a half wavelength at 80 m. I’ll have to check that again in the
morning, as I’d have thought it +j ohms.
Ground system is 60 x 33.3 m insulated radials, buried. That should be about a
half wavelength on 80 m.
73, Luke VK3HJ.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10