Re: Topband: Results: "Fusing" Beverage Antennas From Falling Trees

To: Randy <w9zr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Results: "Fusing" Beverage Antennas From Falling Trees
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 09:16:18 -0600
Randy,

I’m glad the system is working for you.
I have 15 Beverage wires with about 2.5 miles (4km) of wire through dense old
forest and will have down trees regularly after a storm.
Perhaps every 2 weeks I have a down tree, and need to visit with the chain saw.
 I cant imagine if I had to repair broken wires every time….especially in the
winter.
I’m sure I have removed well over 50 down trees over the last few years. (I
lost count long ago). In fact I fixed three down trees yesterday.

With so many Beverages, if I needed to walk and check every wire for a problem
it would takes hours, since I would need to hike over 5 miles (8km) in the
bush!!
To solve this problem, I can check each wire from the comfort of my home (100km
away from the remote) by using my antenna analyzer which is permanently set up
to be switched in and sweep each wire to compare to a saved sweep.  Even the
slightest problem its quite obvious.  Also, using TDR I can see a bad feedline
and isolate the location within a few feet.
For those with a sizeable Beverage set-up, I encourage you to consider using
this method to check for problems.  Even from a base station, its great to be
able to check all your wires in a few minutes before a contest, and know
exactly which wire has a problem.

I made a YouTube video about this system if anyone is interested:
https://youtu.be/PA67Tz-1TO4 <https://youtu.be/PA67Tz-1TO4>

73, de steve ve6wz