Topband: Topband corner insulator@W3HKK

To: "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband corner insulator@W3HKK
From: W3HKK@roadrunner.com
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 21:59:51 +0000
Roger, Ive been at this QTH since 2009. Use #14 solid copper
(insulated) through the top corner insulator. It started out as a 20
ft tall, 1/4 wave for TB with a single ground rod and no radials. That
first winter with 100w I worked a 4X4 , an LZ, and a JA. I was
stunned.

Over the years as the tree grew, so did the vertical portion of my L.
So of course the bend moved. For the past 5 years its been a 52 ft
vertical leg, with, now 26 radials on the ground. So far no broken
wires (other than the radials my John Deere would chew up. So I now
coil up my radials during lawn mowing season and hang them from the
lower branches of my black walnut tree - until next topband season.
However, the non-radialed TB L still works lots of dx during spring
summer and fall including VK/ZL/JA, EU/Africa/S.A. during lawn mowing
season thanks to the good midwestern soil we have hr in Ohio.