Re: Topband: elevated radials question

To: Greg Davis <n3zl.radio@gmail.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: elevated radials question
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 09:17:16 -0700
Don't connect elevated radials to on/in ground radials.

There is a huge ground loss for 4ft high radials on 160m. 7ft is far better and 10 ft is pretty good.

There are "W" shaped radial feeds with the base near to the ground but IMO it is better to elevate the feedpoint to radial height and add a bit of wire to the top load to get back to resonance.

Radials can be a bit shorter than 1/4wl ~ 85% for 4, even shorter for more. see antennasbyn6lf.com Or a single high Q inductor to shorten them more, but modeling is needed.

An excellent coax choke is essential for elevated, the 4" K9YC #31 design is great.

Grant KZ1W