Re: Topband: 160M DX Conditions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M DX Conditions
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 22:01:41 -0400
Roger,

I think you're getting out alright but RX may be a little lacking or perhaps
it was just overly noisy in Ol Blighty last night.

Called you last night after a couple Midwest USA stations gave up. Probably
around 0040z or thereabouts. You were solid. Finally got 1 QRZ, then you
just started calling CQ right away after giving me enough
time to send my call 2-3 more times.

I called 2 CQ's just afterwards a few kcs up the band and lit up 18 skimmers
from G through VE6(right at SS in VE6), so I know I was getting out.  I am
not the loudest signal on the band, but I do "ok'.

Legal limit to an inverted L type of antenna.

GL with your CQing.

Hey, I tried !

73 de Mike VE9AA
-------------
Conditions have been pretty good this week . . . and there has also been
quite a few NA stations coming on the band. (I usually come on for about an
hour at 00.30Z, as that seems to be when propagation is best, based on
received signal strengths on NA RBN stations)

Although it's hard to be sure, but it seems that my slight Antenna
improvements after putting my Dipole back up after the terrible gales we had
over here have made my Tx signal a little stronger. (basically this involved
putting a taller mast at one end, to get it about 10 feet above of the trees
that have grown taller over the past decade, and were getting near the wire
- I'm pretty sure this causes loss due to absorption by the trees).

Roger G3YRO

Mike, Coreen & Corey
Keswick Ridge, NB