Re: Topband: Stew Perry 160 meter test this weekend

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew Perry 160 meter test this weekend
From: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 09:00:51 -0800
My Alpha 9500 is out being repaired, so I will be operating low power in
the SP this weekend.  Which of course means additional points for both
ends of the QSO.  Might be worth trying to pull my signal out of the
noise if you hear me.  I did pretty well in the ARRL 160 working the
east coast with low power.  There was a fairly large variation of the
ability of east coast stations to hear me.  Some stations just hear a
lot better than others in similar locations.  I don't know how much is
the station and how much is the op.  However, the band doesn't really
open up here (west coast) until around 0200Z.  Before that, we get the
dreaded 1 way propagation with the east coast.  Don't go QRT too early.

Good luck.  CU in the contest.

---
Rick Karlquist
N6RK

On 2021-12-15 08:09, Tree wrote:

> All -
>
> The annual Stew Perry 160 meter Distance Challenge is coming up this
> weekend.  It starts at 1500Z on Dec 18th and runs for 24 hours.  The
> exchange is your grid square and the points you get are proportional to the
> distance of the contact.  Full rules and other information available at
> www.kkn.net/stew [1].
>
> As usual - many of you have stepped forward to sponsor a plaque for this
> unique event.
>
> We have plaques for the Top Scores from many geographical areas:
>
> High Power Single-Op World, Europe, Africa, SE Asia
> CQ Zones 3, 22, 24, 25, 26-28
> USA 5th call area
> Within 15 degrees of the equator
>
> There are also plaques for those using temporary antennas, a very lousy
> antenna or various sizes of small lots.
>
> Some of the stranger plaques include an award to the highest score only
> using search and pounce, highest # of QSOs with no busts, use of a vintage
> station, daytime only operation and one for the highest score from a
> first-time entrant.
>
> If you feel a plaque should be added to the list, there is still time to
> make your intentions known.  Send me a direct email and we will work out
> the details. The plaques for the previous event will be shipping in the
> next week or two.  We apologize for the delay.
>
> Hope to work many of you this weekend in one of the most enjoyable evenings
> you will have on the Topband.
>
> 73 Tree N6TR / K7RAT
> tree@kkn.net

Links: