Re: Topband: LOOP on ground test 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: LOOP on ground test 160m
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 06:53:43 -0500
Andy

I did a lot of experiments about two years ago with LOGs and BOGs.  Generally I found the BOG to be better and a smaller investment in "wire". I did a lot of experiments with feeding the LOGs in different locations (sides, corners, etc) and the results we never very outstanding. Now I was not as religious about having the LOG actual laying on bare earth everywhere ( see next paragraph) since I was not aware at the time that actual laying on top of the ground might be better for this family of antennas.

My other observation is that for best F/B and RDF is that unlike it s big brother the BEVERAGE that shorter is better for the BOG. In my case I have very poor soil (.001/5) . 6" down it pure white sand it ever stops raining here in Florida for a year it will become a large sand dune. In my case extensive modeling with AutoEZ and EZENEC PRO4/Ver6. suggest that optimum F/B @20 degrees arrival is obtained at at about 225 feet (68 meters) and optimum RDF is obtained at ~275ft ( 84M) . I then ran the same analysis with better soil conductivity and optimum BOG lengths were even shorter!  This is likely the reason that some folks report that the BOG is a reasonably good performer and for others find it is useless.

Now as a matter of full disclosure, all my BOGS are bi-directional with reflection transformers at the ends and  made from RG6, so the actual antenna (not just the feedline) is a bigger conductor than a "wire" I also noted in both theory and in practice that elevation above actual earth of even a few inches destroyed the F/B. I have since gone to great pains to get my BOGS "touching" the bare sandy earth . Those of you with real dirt and or grass may have a different experience !!

Dave

NR1DX