Topband: In defence of Mario LU8DPM

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: In defence of Mario LU8DPM
From: Phil Hartwell via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 15:49:46 +0800
During our southern hemisphere winter, there is a brief opportunity to work South America, which being directly over the south pole from VK6, is our ultimate challenge on 160m. I spent a couple of years trying to give Manuel, LU5OM, zone 29 on 160m, as did Steve, VK6VZ. I heard Manuel many times, but we never completed a QSO, due to his high urban noise level, despite him trying many different RX antennas. During those attempts I did have QSO's with Juan LU6YF and Mario LU8DPM, even though signals were extremely weak. Mario is in a very quiet rural location with excellent TX and directional RX antennas. Maybe people having trouble working him recently, failed, due to him listening in another direction, or more likely, he was experiencing very high QRN during the southern summer. Even with his RX antennas pointing north towards the USA, the Amazon is a terrific QRN generator and probably masks many signals. I keep a good eye on lightning tracker programs, for two reasons, firstly to know when to isolate my antennas with approaching thunderstorms and secondly to see what the thunderstorm activity is like in my target areas on 160m. I know QRN can be intense during the northern summer in the USA, and why many go QRT for the duration, it is too during our summer, but lightning trackers give me a good indication of my chances of being heard in areas experiencing severe QRN. So take a look at a lightning tracker program, one that is effective in the area of interest, it may explain why someone can't hear you, _not_ because they are "deaf"! They may also live in an urban area, with a multitude of man made QRM to combat. Regarding lightning trackers, all are not equal, for instance Blitzortung/Lightning Maps is excellent in EU and N. America, also in eastern VK and ZL, and it's near real time, but it's absolutely useless in VK6, as it detects very few strikes here. I use Farmonline https://farmonlineweather.com.au/satellite/ which uses the Weatherzone Pro service, for local lightning tracking, it's not real time, images are at least 10 minutes old, but it's the best available here.

73, Phil VK6GX.

https://www.avg.com