Topband: 8Q7WM Z-22 in VE6

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 8Q7WM Z-22 in VE6
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 13:14:48 -0700
Well, today a miracle happened.
I worked 8Q7WM on 160m CW for a new DXCC and Z-22.
His signal peaked at about 1415 z or so.  My SR at 1430z.

First of all, I owe thanks to Bob W7RH for spotting 8Q7WM this morning on 160m.
For the last few months, I have been lazy and sleeping in.  This morning I got
up about 25 min before my sunrise and checked the band.
I saw Bob's spot for the 8Q7 on 1821, and thought, “well, I will never hear
him, but I my as well check”

I was so shocked when I heard his CQ that I almost fell out of my chair.
His signal was arriving at the usual skew path that most of SE Asia arrives,
somewhere between Japan path at 320 deg. and direct west at 270 deg.
The direct path to 8Q7 from VE6 is virtually straight north polar at 352 deg.

Here are a few recordings I made of his signal.
If you decide to listen to these, don't even bother without headphones, he is
weak. Really weak.
These recordings are in stereo diversity, in the Left ear is the phased
Beverage pair, in the Right ear is the 9 circle .
Both RX are set direct west, although he was also copyable on the JA rx too.

While the amp was warming up I recorded this CQ:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fHNBaTs-JDKPTLHDuhRtRAxWrEpMYvzj/view?usp=sharing

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fHNBaTs-JDKPTLHDuhRtRAxWrEpMYvzj/view?usp=sharing>

Next Kevin VK6LW called, and I recorded his 2-way QSO:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EaHEhGU3UQk9YwGpmawdFBjC1b23aPKn/view?usp=sharing

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EaHEhGU3UQk9YwGpmawdFBjC1b23aPKn/view?usp=sharing>

After Kevin finished, the amp was warm so I called.
I am actually embarrassed about my calling.  I was so stunned that I could copy
him, I was messing up my reports, and sending my call way too many times.
I think it's clear that I was doubling with him, and I almost ruined my own QSO.
He went into a QSB fade right when I called, so I wasn't sure he had my call
correct, so I think he was unsure I had confirmed.
AT 2:05 he sends VE6WZ?
I resend my call and report,
At 2:40 he sends VE6WZ 5NN,
I CFM and at 3:05 8Q7 sends CFM.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eibREmwj9BzNH2I-gPa14rTdOqMLlorV/view?usp=sharing

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eibREmwj9BzNH2I-gPa14rTdOqMLlorV/view?usp=sharing>

Here he is QRZ? with Dennis, ZL1AZ and JI1DCW calling:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nz6GX62Ba1gw22R__jpcjbHHnb8QGoNt/view?usp=sharing

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nz6GX62Ba1gw22R__jpcjbHHnb8QGoNt/view?usp=sharing>

The band has remained very poor and the EU trans-polar path has not opened for
a few weeks.
Working Z 22, which is a direct polar path I never would have imagined, but of
course the opening was a skew path, completely avoiding the AU !

Thanks to Karel OK2WM for pulling me out, and for setting up an excellent TX on
the beautiful beach in the Maldives.

Good luck to the other WC guys.  It seems Karel and Vlad will be there till
March 8.

73, de steve ve6wz