Re: Topband: 8Q7WM Z-22 in VE6

To: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 8Q7WM Z-22 in VE6
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 12:47:41 -0500
Wow! That is quite an impressive contact and you managed to copy it all in some audio files. How often does that happen?  Those audio files are great!

Congratulations, Steve.  I am always amazed at how well you do in the over-the -pole mode.  I just do not seem to be able to do that from my spot here in Maine. Maybe 8Q7 wasn't over the pole, but it is a huge event in any case.

I have become enamored with 160 meters and had all sorts of plans to keep improving my station, but many things beyond my control have recently surfaced. I have laid out the area for an 8 circle array to go along with my array of beverages, and I have re furbished 120 ft of Rohn 25 tower sections for a second phased TX antenna. Those plans have now been put on hold as the area around my house has become an RF battleground and I am being overcome by marijuana grow lights.  Maine is a rural state that is largely conservative with the exception of the City of Portland and Bangor. In 2018, the legislature legalized personal use of marijuana. That change has turned things upside down here. I live in a border town, and now many people are coming here to buy drugs from retail pot stores. The state highway that runs thru Lebanon, now is bristling with marijuana stores.  There are many grow houses now being used to supply these stores. In addition, individuals are allowed to grow the plants, and many of them are growing huge illegal amounts of the drug with no prospect of any repercussions.  I have been fighting to get one "home" grower to cease using his grow lights that wipe out my 160 meter reception. He lives 3/4 mile away but has 6000 watts worth of the lights and the RFI is tremendous. I have had some success with an NCC-1 phasing unit to cancel much of the noise, but this past weekend, two new sources came on line in different directions, and there is nothing that I can do to cancel the noise.  I did locate the new sources, but my past history with asking for FCC help tells me that I am in for a long duration event and much of my time will be spent playing Whack-a Mole as new sources come on line. In the meantime, my 160 meter activity has been ruined. If the grow lights are running, I am off the air!  I have decided to stop using 160 meters in any serious fashion as I just turned 77 yrs old and my life is too short to be fighting with pot growers for many years. I wish it were not so. I am initiating a complaint, but am not expecting any neat solution.

73

Dave K1WHS